Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Rules Are... There Are No Rules



pictures courtesy of Home and Design

When I decorate I don't think too much about what goes with what and I don't follow too many rules.  I prefer to follow my instinct and go with what feels right.  Did I just kill my career or what?  I just really believe if you buy what you love your space will look great and reflect your personality.   However, because eclectic rooms can be the most intimidating to try yourself,  it may take a professional to give it that seamless look.  There just isn't a blueprint.  For example, check out the room on the bottom left with the clean lined white sofa and ottoman coffee table, the industrial style file cabinet end table with the French lamp and a traditional, ornate chandelier.  It sounds crazy but it works! 

Here are a few common rules that were made to be broken:

1.  Don't mix gold and silver.  I can assure you this is no longer an issue in the decorating world.  I never stress out too much about mixing different metal finishes.  I am planning on mixing a gold ornate frame with my stainless steel appliances in my kitchen and I will not lose a wink of sleep over it.  If you're going to do this don't do all silver with one gold piece or vice versa.  Use gold and silver sporadically throughout your house.  

2.  Don't mix different wood finishes.  There are still lots of you out there that cannot bring yourself to mix finishes.  Mixing finishes is the easiest way to give you home a rich, collected look.  In fact, you must mix finishes to avoid looking like you went to a furniture store and bought the whole collection on display as is.   Please, please, please mix finishes.

3.  Be careful when mixing color and patterns.  Anything goes lately as far as color and pattern.  Pick 2-3 colors using paint and fabric to ground the room and then have fun bringing in other colors with accessories!  


I hope I freed you a little from the intimidating decorating rules and encouraged you to take more risks when it comes to decorating!        

No comments:

Post a Comment