Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Nancy Tillman for Kohl's Cares

Has anyone shopped Kohl's lately?  When you do, take notice of the four Nancy Tillman books selected to participate in Kohl's Cares.  Kohl's Cares is a foundation that supports health and education for kids in communities in our nation.  In the past there have been Dr. Seuss books, Eric Carlisle books and many other wonderful authors and illustrators who sell their books and stuffed animals for $5, raising180 million since 2000.  The reason these books are special to me is because, like most, I'm unable to adequately articulate how much love I have for my children and these books say it better than I've heard in anything else.  Not only are the words amazing but combined with the illustrations of nature and animals, they are beyond inspiring for the little ones too.

The four titles by Nancy Tillman and written by Eric Metaxas are:

Wherever You Are my love will find you

This one is a tearjerker.  I bought one for each of my children.  It speaks of how when you send your child into the world your love will follow them wherever they go.  "So climb any mountain...climb up to the sky! My love will find you.  My love can fly!"....or this one "My love is so high, and so wide and so deep, it's always right there, even when you're asleep."


It's Time to Sleep,  My Love





"Your dreams will be arriving soon.  They'll float to you in sleep's balloon.  They'll be here when I snuff the wick, you'd better close your eyelids quick.  So you can dream, my love, my love.  So you can dream my love.  And as you dream inside your sleep, the fishes crooning in the deep, and all the songbirds up above will sleep and dream of you, my love, of you, the one I love."

On the Night You Were Born


This is the one your are probably most familiar with.  This is my favorite part..."So whenever you doubt just how special you are and you wonder who loves you, how much and how far, listen for geese honking high in the shy. (They're singing a song to remember you by.) Or notice the bears asleep at the zoo.  (It's because they've been dancing all night for you.)  Or drift off the sleep to the sound of the wind.  (Listen closely...it's whispering your name again!"

The Spirit of Christmas




This will no doubt make you remember Christmas as a child.  The book talks about the spirit of Christmas and "Snow that lies silent. As quiet as a mouse.  And roads that all lead to your grandmother's house." The message to your child on the last page..."And so then, my darling, wherever you roam, may you always be safe...may you always com home.  For as long as the world still spins and still hums, wherever you are, and no matter what comes, the best part of Christmas will always be...you beneath my Christmas tree."

Tissue please!

No comments:

Post a Comment