Friday, November 11, 2011

Decorating with Animals











I'm getting lots of questions about how to incorporate animals into your decor.  You need to walk a fine line when decorating with animals.  That doesn't mean you can't have fun, you just don't want your house to look like somehting out of National Geographic.  Here are a few tips and ideas:

1.  Go big or go home!  One really amazing, oversize piece can be such a showstopper like the horse print in the first picture.  Then stop yourself....that should be it for that room.

2.  Add some kitsch - meaning have fun with it.  I don't have traditional foo dogs,  instead I have a pair of gold pooch poodles (above).  They sit under my foyer table and have been known to be used as a doorstop, but they'd also make great bookends.  You could also have a piece of art made out of a photo of your family pet Andy Warhol style!

3.  Our sailfish that my Grandpa caught is hanging in my son's room.  It's soooo big and imposing but because the wall is blue too, it blends in.  We named it Philler after Grandpa Phil and it really keeps some great memories alive!  I also love the Shadowbox idea maybe with a picture and a favorite toy or dog collar.

No comments:

Post a Comment