Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Spruce Up For Spring-Spring Cleaning






Not cleaning in the traditional way - if your looking for cleaning tips visit Martha Stewart, I mean clearing out your clutter.

1.  Every Spring I make a list, in order of priority, of things I'd like to purchase for my home.  The next step is looking around for things I do not LOVE anymore or haven't used in awhile.  I put it all in a pile and when my sub has a garage sale I participate and use all the money towards my shopping list.  Make your list first because the excitement of something new will prompt you to put as much as you can in the pile.  Don't forget to clean out your closet and your husbands too!

*Tip when making your list try to think of things that will enhance what you already have.  This is not a major overhaul project, we're just looking for a pick me up!

2.  After the garage sale do not bring anything back in the house.  If it doesn't sell, put it in your car and drive it to a thrift store.  If you have something you can't bear to give away visit Conversation Pieces, send me an email with a picture and maybe I'll be able to post it for you.

3.  Let's just say you made $250 and the first thing on your list is a new TV, followed by a mirror, a new lamp, a throw blanket, some new candles and some picture frames.  You don't have enough for your TV so skip it and knock off everything else on your list.

4.  When shopping it's easy to be distracted and to splurge on something not on your list.  You may be excited by it at first but the high will wear off and you'll be back to square one with your list.  That being said some of the best purchases are impulse buys.  If it's small bring it home and spend a weekend thinking about it before you commit.  If it's something large, go home look around and ask yourself if you're willing to give up everything on your well strategized list for this new amazing piece.  If the answer it "Yes!" by all means keep it and save your list for later. Try to knock off one thing a month or every three, whatever you can do.

5.  I just heard from Peter Walsh (Oprah's clutter guru) something that really hit home in my bargain shopping heart!  He said "If the best thing about the item is it's price don't buy it."  Yes, of course so simple and so true!  Stamp this motto onto your credit card, debit card or wallet.

Happy Shopping!

2 comments: