Saturday, December 10, 2011

Holiday Decorating Must Haves

Etsy, house to home uk

 I've tried everything when it comes to decorating!  I've tried color themes, massive, full, fake looking garland decorated with glittery dragonflies and butterflies (I'm serious).  I've had centerpieces, do-dad's on the back of kitchen chairs, centerpieces, table runners, wreaths on every window and then on every bedroom door......let's just say I've learned a lot and I'd also like the money back that I spent on horrible looking decorations.

This is my new list of decorating must haves:  same theory as in decorating - less is more and a few really nicely decorated focal points is so much better than accessories placed on every available tabletop!

1.  Knit stockings - mine are all cream with red writing but know I'm wishing they we're different colors and sizes!

2.  A really beautiful mantel with candles.  I tried flame less this year to save my husband a heart attack.  I'm not all that responsible when it comes to candles!  I also have gold reindeer and stars....I'll post some pics soon!
martha stewart living

 3.  A more natural looking garland.  It doesn't have to be real but I'm totally over the big oversize fake garland that collects dust.

4.  I'm forcing 30 paper white bulbs this year.  I feel like I want a more natural Christmas and forcing bulbs are so easy!  Hopefully just before Christmas they'll all bloom and last into the New Year!  If your not into that work, visit your florist, nursery or even grocery store for some big full poinsettia plants (as long as you don't have young kids or animals that will eat them).
Cody Foster

5.  I love vintage ornaments.  I don't put them on the trees because my kids are little and I believe the trees should be for them.  Our trees are loaded with every ornament they've made us in school, hockey skate ornaments, Santa fishing etc. etc. you get the picture.  Not a showpiece tree by any means but special and exciting for the kids and that's what it's all about.  I hang my antique ornaments from chain over my windows, hang them from chandeliers and mirrors and put the left over one's in a bowl.

6.  Christmas villages are not a must have by any means.  My parents always have had an extensive one and although really beautiful, a ton of work.  I love these glittery Cody Foster villages.  They're like the vintage cardboard houses but way more intricate!  I think their really beautiful in a plant shelf or by a window.

In keeping with our "natural" Christmas not only did we get our first real tree but we also cut it down ourselves!  It was so much fun.  I'll post pictures soon.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! I can't wait to see your pictures! Still love reading your blog! Merry Christmas and I'm looking forward to reading more Home Sweet Living in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support Kristen. Send me your beautiful decos, I'd love to post them!

    ReplyDelete