Monday, March 14, 2011

What's Your Story







Art is probably the most meaningful thing you can put in your home, except the people of course.  What you hang on the walls tells a story about you that anyone who walks in can read.  The biggest mistake I see people make it when they have something hanging on every wall of their home.  It's like an outfit with too many accessories.  It can be complete overkill and it adds to the "clutter" of a home.  Please don't make the mistake of going to the store to find a picture to fill a wall.  In fact, take everything down and put it in a huge pile.  Look around and take in the emptiness.  Enjoy dreaming of what you could hang there.  It's actually very calming and relaxing to have empty space.  I'm dreading the day when all of my walls are filled up and I have no more space for something special.

Then start over.  Decide what you have that evokes some kind of emotion or memory. Think of your home as an outfit and the accessories you chose and how you display them is what makes it uniquely you.  In my nursery I have a limerick that I wrote and won in award for in grade school.  My mom had someone write it in beautiful calligraphy and had it framed for me.  I will always cherish it.  As I will a painting that I bought when I worked in Florida of three boys on a beach.  I bought that the week we decided it was time to start a family.  Shockingly we had three boys, just like in the painting!  I've hung a ton of family pictures on my walls, however I group them all together instead of sporadically around the house.  I have really old pictures of our parents growing up, my Dad coaching football, my mother in law pregnant with twins (my husband one of them), my mom sitting on a donkey in Hawaii, as well as our wedding and all of our kids portraits.  A framed picture of a "contract" my Dad could barely scribble after his stroke, promising to get better by Christmas.  I have two watercolors that I've bought at art fairs, and a collection of Hibel prints that we're very important to my husband's late uncle.  Even the mirror in my powder room was from my husband's grandma and our newest pride and joy in a 6 ft. sailfish that my grandfather caught. It was the focal point in my grandparents basement for as long as I can remember.  My grandma passed just a few weeks ago and I'm amazed that she wanted us to have it,  it looks awesome in Sam's bedroom.

That's our story.  What's yours?  What is important enough to you that you will hang in your home and look at every day.  That's not to say you can't shop for and buy whatever you like, my point is to really think about it.  You need to fall in love with it.  Don't just buy it, take a few days or even weeks to make sure it's the right fit for you.  Filling your home with art should be a process accomplished over time.  Here are some things you can look to for inspiration:

1.  travel - where have you been?  Where do you dream of going?
2.  family pictures, your favorite grandparents wedding picture, a picture of you being brought home from the hospital
3.  a love letter from someone special
4.  inspirational quotes.  I just bought the print above for my kitchen that says "Look within, you are the world"  I love that the boys will see it every day.
5.  a photo that you've taken or try your hand at painting something.  Even if it's a bunch of stripes in your favorite colors on a canvas
6.  your kids art or their hand prints done in colorful paint
7.  display a collection of some sort
8.  frame the cover of a favorite book you enjoy with your children or a growth chart
9.  a chalkboard to write notes to each other
10. a shadowbox with something special

No comments:

Post a Comment