Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Edit Your Eating Area



A quick note about kitchens/eating areas.  These places are natural dumping grounds for everything! 
Keys, mail, kids homework, purses and wallets, cell phones and IPods, groceries need I go on.  I think you need to keep a tight handle on these areas, meaning make the most out of your furniture, light fixtures and window treatments and keep accessories to a minimum.  I feel like my table and island look best completely bare and I have only a few things on my kitchen counter.  I don't use place mats or tablecloths or anything that will clutter up the space more than our everyday living with the exception of a vase of fresh flowers once and awhile.  I love how in the picture below they used that amazing architectural frame as a cork board for important information but they did it in such a decorative way, like a piece of art.  It works because although it's clutter, it's looks amazing and it's condensed to one area.  They also sacrificed a piece of art or mirror for this memo board, realizing you can't have it all!   I've also seen beautiful watercolor calendars on Design Mom that you can make and are also functional pieces or art.  


all pictures via House Beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment