Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Tips For Decorating Kids Rooms



Decorating for kids can be fun yet so overwhelming!   There's so much out there that it's hard to keep yourself on track.  Here are four tips to help you keep control of your pocketbook and cut out needless spending:

1)  When picking a paint color, choose something that flows with the rest of your home.  I do not suggest pulling out a color from the bedding or painting the wall "Spongebob" yellow or "My Little Pony" pink.  I learned this lesson when I painted the nursery a beautiful pale yellow which would work out fine for some, but it didn't quite flow with the rest of my home.  After two years I was spending a couple hundred dollars to have it repainted blue because pale yellow didn't seem to quite fit my rough and tumble little man.

2)  First let me say I am not an advocate of letting little kids grow up too fast, however certain things should not be bought just for babies.  You need to think of the longevity.  The no brainers are the furniture pieces.  Other than the crib, try to select other pieces that will grow with your child such as a changing table that can be used as a good size, sturdy dresser for a teenager.  From the time my kids were 3 and 4 I was checking out Pottery Barn Teen instead of Pottery Barn Kids for furniture and accessories.  I know it's tempting, but try not to buy the cute teddy bear lamp from Babies R Us that matches your nursery bumper.  You'll be selling that sucker at a Mom's to Mom's sale before you know it.  Instead drive over to Homegoods and for $30 you'll be able to find a bright, youthful lamp that is appropriate for a baby and will last until they're a teen!  After that, you'll probably find another place for it because you'll like it so much!

3) I do not, repeat do not, believe in "theme" rooms for a child. My first mistake was a construction theme for Jake that I thought was perfect because Steve was a builder.  It took about 6 months for me to realize that the colors brought me down and I wanted to use red instead of the burgundy in the quilt.  Next came the Cowboy theme.  This one I went all out on sheets, pictures, accessories, you name it.  Then by the time he was two I realized he loved sports and had never given a thought to cowboys.  That's when I finally realized kids rooms should be decorated like the rest of the home.  I don't have a butterfly living room or a pirate office.  Kids should be surrounded by all of the things they love, not just one thing we pick for them!  That's not to say there's not a place for a pirate or a butterfly as an accessory that you haven't spent a lot of money on.  I love Sam's room.  I was inspired by an "Americana" look so the colors are mostly white with some red and a turquoise wall (I'll post pics later).  Every time I walk though the door I think of how much the room reminds me of him, all of his stuffed animals are out, his favorite books are on display and the Monsters Inc. picture he colored is hanging over the bed.

4)  Don't decorate every square inch.  There will be other things that come along when they get older that you will be able to incorporate.  Buy a few key pieces, window treatments and something for the wall.  Dont' forget to leave some empty space for a family picture or their latest work of art.  Finally, as they get older they will want to store all of their favorite things in their bedrooms so siblings won't find them.  Their rooms fill up fast so try to control that from the beginning buy not overbuying for the baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment