Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Compromise is Key

This past weekend our good friends were over for a last-minute holiday get together.  I pulled out a new wall sconce I'm planning on hanging in family room.  Not overly feminine, but definitely french in style.  My friend asked me how I managed to get my husband to agree to that, it would never fly in her house.   I'm lucky, we don't often clash and he actually loves the sconces.  My key to keeping the guys happy, but to getting my way too is this - Compromise!  I pointed out all the masculine pieces in our house, our industrial bar stools, rustic bookcase and our new sofa that was ordered in a charcoal gray linen  (he doesn't know yet that I plan to put floral pillows with birds on it).  
The pictures above are great examples of mixing it up.  Not only will you both be happy but you will also end up with something funky and eclectic and something that doesn't look like it belongs in a furniture showroom, that's the goal anyway isn't it?  The top left picture has a massive black bookcase as the anchor but the lavender, crystals and french chair bring out the feminine side.  To keep the look cohesive, they added the black chandelier shades and didn't go too feminine with fussy window treatments.  


The top row right pic might throw you for a loop!  You are not alone in thinking the fabric should match the style of the headboard.  How many of you think you would have paired that headboard with a solid or floral fabric?  The masculine fabric toned down the gilt on the headboard and they ended up with something really interesting!  Same thing with the knit throw and romantic picture in the tailored bedroom on the bottom left.  

The closet is my favorite - my girl Jenna Lyons (J. Crew) and her amazing style!  A women's closet is feminine enough as it is with clothes, shoes and accessories so she brought in her industrial style bookcases and clothes rack, masculine dresser and antlers and the result, like her wardrobe, is a perfect blend of masculine and feminine!

If that doesn't work, send him for a few extra guys night-outs and than spring it on him when he's feeling guilty...or just have the furniture delivered when he's gone!  LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment