Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Mixing it Up in the Kitchen - Thanksgiving Style

House to Home UK
left to right Serena and Lily, Oh Happy Day, Pier, One, Serena and Lily, West Elm, Z Gallerie

I know that it appears that I "flaked out" of Thanksgiving!  After all, Halloween received so much attention (mostly for the kids) and not a word from me about Thanksgiving!  It's ironic that those who know me know that Thanksgiving is actually my all time, favorite holiday!  Growing up my mom always hosted and it was always warm and festive.   It's not exactly the same anymore, but one thing is the same, I never feel closer (to my extended family) than I do on Thanksgiving.  Every year I sit in my mom's kitchen and greet everyone, excited to see what each person will bring to the table.  It's also a time that I most feel the loss of loved family members.  My uncle has been gone for 10 years and it still seems strange not to see him walk through the door, and this will be the first hard year without my beloved grandma!

You haven't seem posts from my about Thanksgiving because in my opinion, it's a simple holiday.  All you need is family, a dinner table and food to share. Yesterday, my mom was setting out her china that we eat on every year on Thanksgiving.  As we were eating desert,  it all came crashing down and broke!  My mom acted like it was ok - I know how much she loves her china and I know inside she was devastated.  She always sets a beautiful table.  I think you can set a beautiful table with whatever you have on hand.  It doesn't have to be fine, or match, it doesn't even have to be sparkly.  I love a homemade table with natural materials that you can get from your backyard.  A bunch of branches in a vase and napkins tied together with raffia or strips of fabric, I love the glitter utensils by Oh Happy Day, and of course, lots and lots of candles.  The amazing smell of dinner cooking will take care of the rest!  

I'm so thankful this year.  It goes without saying, I'm thankful for my family and blessings but this Thanksgiving I'm thankful that, for the first time, I was able to cut myself some slack with minimal holiday preparations.  I'm not beating myself up and I'm going to remember what matters most, sharing the holiday with my family.  I hope you all have a wonderful day of preparation today and a beautiful holiday tomorrow.  I'll be spending today cooking some of my dishes and working on crafts with my kids.  

Here are a few yummy recipes:

Sweet and Savory Mashed Potatoes (I know this recipe sounds odd, but trust me it's great)

2 lb of Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 bay leaf
2 lb of sweet potato peeled and cubed
1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
4 tbsp of unsalted butter
3 cloves of garlic gloved roasted and mashed
salt and pepper
2 ripe bananas peeled and mashed
2tbsp honey
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp orange zest

Bring 6 cups of salted water in a large saucepan to a boil.  Add Yukon potatoes and bay leaf.  Simmer covered until potatoes are fork tender about 20 minutes.  Drain.  Discard bay leaf and return potatoes to pan.  Meanwhile bring 6 cups of salted water to a boil in another large saucepan.  Simmer sweet potatoes until potatoes are fork tender about 20 minutes. Drain and return to pan.  While potatoes are cooking heat cream, butter and garlic in a medium saucepan.  Mash Yukon potatoes with a hand masher.  Add half the cream mixture and salt and pepper.  Mash sweet potatoes, stir in mashed bananas, remaining cream mixture, honey cinnamon and orange zest, salt and pepper.  To serve fold both potatoes together to combine... Enjoy  (instyle magazine)


Cranberry-Pear Crisp (I'm going to try it and possibly double the recipe)

3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
3 large pears, peeled, cored and sliced into 3/4 inch slices (about 4 cups)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
7 table spoons of all purpose flour
1/4 cup of packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup  plus 2 tablespoons rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
3/4 cup roughly chopped toasted walnuts
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter melted

Preheat over in 375 F. Grease a shallow 9 inch baking dish
In a large bowl, combine the cranberries, pears, granulated sugar, cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of flour.  Transfer to a baking dish.
In a medium bowl, combine the remaining 6 tablespoons of flour, brown sugar, oats, salt, and walnuts.  Stir in the butter and mix very well.  Sprinkle the topping over the fruit.
Bake for 40 minutes until lightly browned and crisp.

Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

The Comfort Table - Katie Lee Joel


No comments:

Post a Comment